IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It is a unique number assigned to a mobile phone or other wireless devices. The IMEI number is used to identify the phone on the network, and in the event of theft, authorities can use it to track down the device. Service providers can also use the IMEI number to block phones that have been reported lost or stolen from connecting to their networks, thereby preventing unauthorized use of the service. IMEI numbers are usually printed underneath a battery or near the SIM card slot on most phones.
What is an IMEI Number, and How Does it Work?
IMEI numbers are 15-digit number that is used to identify any mobile phone. It is the most important and the only way to know which phone belongs to which user.
The IMEI number has:
- The first digit stands for the country of manufacture.
- The second and third digits stand for the manufacturer.
- The fourth digit stands for the type of network (GSM or CDMA).
- The next ten digits are serial numbers assigned by the manufacturer.
- Finally, there’s a check digit, calculated using an algorithm from all other digits in the IMEI number.
How to Find Your IMEI Number on Your Phone?
The IMEI number is usually printed on the back of your device but can also be found in your phone settings. The IMEI number for your phone is in 2 places – on the operating system settings and the packaging. So if your device came with a box, get it out and check its side or bottom. If you have thrown away the box, don’t worry, you can also find it on the phone.
For this, you have two methods:
- Go to Settings > About phone > Status > IMEI information
- By dialing *#06# in the calling application of your mobile
What are the Benefits of Knowing Your IMEI Number?
IMEI numbers are used to identify mobile devices for tracking purposes. Law enforcement agencies also use them to track stolen phones and prevent fraud. Therefore, if you ever lose your phone, it’s essential to keep track of your IMEI number. This will make it possible for you to report it as lost or stolen and stop unauthorized use of the device.
Knowing your IMEI number is essential for several reasons. First, it can be used to find your phone’s serial number, which can be helpful if you have lost it.
Knowing your IMEI number can be helpful in many ways, such as:
- Finding your device in case you have lost it
- Changing your phone settings or making changes to how you use it
- Getting technical support from service providers
It might not be the easiest to remember, but you can always take a photo of the IMEI that’s on the back of your device or write it down somewhere you always have on hand. If you can produce this number at any time, then you’ll never run into any troubles with service support.